Monday, May 28, 2012

And the dig begins....

Today was a lot of preparation for the dig. We set up our break shelters, safety netting and other safety needs, ran electricity into the hole, and eventually started a bit of the dig near the end of the day. For those of you who aren't aware, I am working on the water system at Tel Gezer. It is basically a big dark hole in the ground.
Gezer water system
In our time of the dig, they are hoping to get down to cavern that is at the bottom of the hole. They opened it up part way last year, but they want to get the rest of it cleaned out, and they are hoping that there is a second entrance on the other side. I have not been down in the hole yet, but hopefully I will get up the courage tomorrow. To get in you have to climb a ladder over a barrier, swing you leg over to another ladder, then climb down in to the hole. Heights are not my friend, but when it comes time to dig, I will not miss out on it. I will just have to suck it up. Tomorrow we begin to clean out the water system, I hope I can find something interesting. :)

1 comment:

  1. Be brave at the beginning, so if you like it you won't miss out. What Fun!!! Mom

    ReplyDelete