Friday, June 1, 2012

110 degrees of misery

I had every intention of posting yesterday, but we ended up having dinner with Ozzy (the Zs sound like Ss), the Israeli man that has been working with us at the dig. He works the crane that hauls the bags up and down the tunnel. He and his family had us over for the most amazing spread I have ever seen in my life. Everything was awesome, and when you thought it was over, more food came. I was so full. I have never seen so many meat products served in one meal, but it was awesome... and there was no pork, just chicken and lamb. My stomach was happy about the lack of pork at a cookout. No pork is typical for Jews but it seems that most cookouts in America have pork products, and they don't agree with my stomach.

The cookout was great, but we got back to the hotel super late, then had to be up at five this morning to travel south to the Dead Sea region. Needless to say, today was a bit rough. Not just for lack of proper sleep, but for the temperature too. It got over 100 Fahrenheit easily; I think they said it got to around 110. Absolutely oppressive. Michigan summers are soooo much more appealing now that I've felt the desert in the srping, lol. It was still a good trip despite the heat, though, now I realize how rough 40 days and nights must have been for Jesus. I could hardly last 30 minutes without water out there.

No photos today folks, sorry. I'm trying to make this quick so I can sleep, and photos take forever to upload. Feel free to google though.

Our first stop was Masada. Incredibly impressive place. It was another palace complex and stronghold of King Herod's; his winter home since the heat is so miserable this time of year. Masada is built up on a mountain. You should seriously see some pictures of this place, it's pretty intense.

After that we made a quick stop at En Gedi, where David was hiding from Saul (1 Samuel 23). Pretty much we went to go see the nice waterfall there.

The most interesting part of the day was the Dead Sea. It was kind of bizarre actually. You float so easily that it's more like hovering. The "beach" is lined with salt build up. It was definitely an experience not to miss. The water feels so thick and slimy, and even the tiniest cut burns, but once you're all washed off, your skin feels so smooth.

By the time we headed to out last stop of the day, Qumran (where the Dead Sea scrolls were found), I started feeling pretty dizzy. I was well hydrated and had eaten enough that it wasn't my blood sugar, but I was definitely overheated. My heart would not stop racing. I really didn't enjoy the last stop very much. It was interesting, but my brain was foggy and all I wanted was some air conditioning. Once we finally got back to the hotel and I got to lay down in the AC, I started feeling much better. I think I will stay in a mild climate forever. Maybe not Michigan, but some place with a similar climate.

Well, it's bed time. We have another 5am wake up tomorrow with a long day of touring. This time we are headed north so it won't be so hot. I do, however, have to wear jeans and a t-shirt since we are visiting some holy places, and shorts and a tank-top are a no go. Goodnight!


No comments:

Post a Comment