Sunday, June 10, 2012

Home is where less heat is....

Hello again. I realize it's been a couple of days since my return to the states, but I have been a bit out of sorts with the jet lag and all. I decided to write my final Israel post today (finally). The last day of the dig for me was pretty normal again. I spent the day in the tunnel for a change of pace. They did end up uncovering an interesting horseshoe shaped rock formation about 3ft across; it looked like a giant toilet seat. They also started to dig farther down to try to find the source of the water, but they hadn't found anything by the end of the day. I'm not sure what the progress is now. They have a blog about the dig, I just need to actually check it :p. We ended early that day so we could make it out to dinner at Elvis Burger. It was actually pretty good, and I got a free Elvis coffee mug. I don't like Elvis all that much, but hey, it's a cool souvenir.

After dinner I finished up my packing, then headed to the airport at 9pm. Security at the airport is pretty intense. You go through around five different security check points, and you get asked questions at each one. Maybe that had something o do with the fact that I was traveling alone, so I was flagged as a possible stupid tourist who may have taken something from someone, but I'm not sure. All I know is that it took a good hour-and-a-half to get through all the security checkpoints.

The flight was loud, but smooth. I will still never understand why people with babies insist on taking such long flights. It was good to make it back to Michigan finally. I loved the trip, but I was ready to be home. Especially for the food. My first day back in America consisted of Starbucks, Taco Bell, and pizza. Awesome. No wonder my stomach hates me.

I really learned a lot on this trip, and I came to a few realizations about my life. I have been struggling for some time about where I am in life. I have been very discontent and have wanted nothing more than to just run away from it all. It was made pretty clear to me that I am exactly where I am supposed to be right now, and that this is my preparation time. For what, I am not yet sure... well, 100% anyway. I have been so eager to get on with my life that I've been ignoring that I need to prepare for it. So, that's my next great adventure: a spiritual journey instead of a physical one.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you came to a good conclusion. I think all of life is preparation for the next phase in this life as well as for eternity. Welcome to the journey, fellow pilgrim! Life following God is an adventure!

    ReplyDelete